Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Tribute to Masters Series -- Stig Lindberg



A few years ago, I had an opportunity to visit Stockholm. During my stay, my very nice host took the trouble to accompany me to a small town an hour away from the city – Gustavsberg. I was thrilled. There was a very famous sculptor I admired, and she used to work in this legendary small town. I wanted to visit her studio, for musing purposes.

I learned of many more inspiring designers/sculptors that beautiful day. One of them being Stig Lindberg. I felt ignorant to not know of his work sooner.

Stig Lindberg (1916–1982) seems to know it all. Ceramics, illustration, painting, glass design, patterns... He really understood design and form, as in innately understood. The end products always look so effortless, so natural. There was order to the design, and yet air seems to breath through within it. This is illustrative design at its best -- when you look at it and don't see it, because it's virtually weightless.

Eventually, it took some effort to leave the town (Sorry, my very nice host!) I was a very broke illustrative designer at the time, and I could only afford to budget in one thing. I spend it on a book about Stig Lindberg and his amazing works.

It continues to be one of my best source of inspiration.



Stig Lindberg


Playful ceramic design by Stig Lindberg

No comments: